Sunday 12 October 2014

Movie Madness: American Mary (2012)

So, last night my friend Chelsie said she'd be curious about my review on this film, so I decided to give it a go! (Sorry about posting this so late in the day, this philosophy paper is absolutely destroying me.)







































A warning to my vegan friends: You might want to avoid this - or at least fast forward through the opening credits. I mean, there's a raw turkey in these credits, so uhhhh.

Trigger warning: This movie does have a rape scene in it, so please be aware.

Mary is a medical student who is, surprise, behind on some of her bills. In order to make some extra cash, she takes jobs performing some... rather "unconventional" surgeries. After she is raped at a party by her professor, she quits medical school and solely commits herself to body modification surgeries.

You know, does anyone else think that Katharine Isabelle sounds a little bit like Emma Stone?

That being said, there's actually a lot I liked about this film. I thought Ms. Isabelle's performance was entertaining (though I thought the idea of her performing intense surgeries in a skimpy outfit were really unnecessary and actually took away from the seriousness of the film - I mean I know they're taking place in the basement of a strip club, but...).

And I'll admit, I did chuckle over the Mengele reference. (If you don't know of Dr. Mengele, educate yourself a little bit here - if you dare.)

One thing that did shock me about this film is that it's actually not terribly gory - you rarely see any actual blood. (There is a torture scene about an hour in though that's pretty grim, though. I will admit I'm pretty weak against um, hooks through the skin, though. That's just something that makes me twitchy, but maybe it wouldn't bother you as much.)

It slows down a little bit near the end, but it's still pretty interesting.

So, sorry again for posting this so late in the day! Tomorrow will probably be the same story - it's my three year anniversary with my boyfriend, so I have that and I have to go to school for class and I have to keep working on this philosophy paper.

If you have any recommendations, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email!

Thank you, lovelies!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment