Sunday 16 March 2014

Chocolate chip & bacon pancakes!

Once in a blue moon, I'll crave breakfast foods.

When I wake up, I don't want bacon or a tofu scramble or anything like that. Oh no, I want some damn pasta or a slice of pizza. I'm one of "those" people. And when I DO eat breakfast foods, it tends to be for dinner.

Anarchy ahoy, here.

But this week I've been craving pancakes and/or waffles. I have a really cheap, crappy waffle maker at the moment though so I didn't feel like doin' that whole song and dance.

So, take this.

























I KNOW right!?

Remember the Elvis sandwich I made that had "bacon" in it? Yeah, this is going to use the same brand that I used for that.


























Sigh, rest in peace mise en place bowls. I'll try to get some new ones this week, I promise guys! This looks so messy and makes my skin crawl, ugh.

ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 Ener-G egg
  • 1 1/4 cup vegan buttermilk* (see note)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
  • 4 strips of Lightlife Smart "Bacon"
*Note: For vegan buttermilk, the rule is to use one Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and fill the rest of the cup with soy milk. So for this I used one Tablespoon and one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and then filled the rest of the 1 1/4 cup with soy milk. Let it sit for about five minutes, then stir.

instructions:

1. Cook bacon and cut it into bits. If you want, candy it with brown sugar.
2. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Slowly add in the Ener-G egg, vegan buttermilk, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Let mixture sit for ten minutes.
4. Mix in bacon bits and chocolate chips.
5. Spray a pan with canola oil and put on medium heat.
6. Cook quickly, flipping until both sides are a light or medium brown.
7. Serve with Earth Balance and your favourite kind of syrup!



























Please use a bigger pan than I did. Please. You'll regret this. I would've used a bigger one but stuff was in the dishwasher or drying and I just... I felt lazy.


























I hate when people talk to me or linger near me when I cook. It totally throws me off. So you can probably tell that my roommate chose this moment to talk to me and ask me random questions ("Do we have toilet paper????"). So try to make yours a little lighter than this.


























Dry ingredients!


























Added in some wet ingredients!


























Chocolate and bacon. Nom nom nom.


























This batter cooks QUICKLY. I mean, surprisingly quickly. So do not leave this unattended. Be prepared to flip. I think a batch took me two or three minutes, oh god.



















































I took a break from taking photos to go say hello to my little darling.


























Plate o' pancakes!


























Look at that lil' short stack!


























Look at these lil' babies.

I hope you enjoy these! They're different than any other kind of pancake I've ever had. If you have any requests, feel free to leave a comment or email me!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment