Monday 11 August 2014

Movie Madness: L'Écume des jours/Mood Indigo (2013)

So a few days ago, my parents insisted that I had to go see a movie with them. (I say insisted, but really I love movies so maybe that's too harsh of a word.) They said I'd love it. They wouldn't tell me what it was or who was in it or anything like that.

Today, I finally went with them to see it.

It was playing in a little theatre in Philly (the best one) and I never get to go here anymore, so I was thrilled.






































I cannot even describe my love for this place. I hate that I can't go here for every single movie. They kick you out if you use your phone and it's so clean and beautiful. Also they've started showing older movies again (ughhhhhhh they're gonna show 'Back to the Future' and I wanna go!).

(I saw a preview for a movie that I demand to see, by the way. A piece called 'A Letter to Momo'. I'll let you guys know if/when I see it.)

So as the film started, I was trying to figure out why they had chosen this for me. And then I figured it out.







































Audrey Tautou? Michel Gondry? I'm on board! (From this point on, I'll refer to the film by its English title.)

Warning: Spoilers ahead!

'Mood Indigo' is a colourful film about a dashing, rich young man named Colin. As he watches his friends enter relationships, he grows lonely and wishes to fall in love. He meets the beautiful Chloe at a party, and from there they continue their awkward and adorable relationship until he asks her to marry him.

While on their honeymoon, Chloe falls ill. She has a "water lily" in her chest, and the only way to help her is by surrounding her with fresh flowers. He loses his fortune while providing for her, and does his best to work hard and save money to keep her alive.

I should've known this wouldn't be a carefree film. Not really, anyway. It starts with a bright palette and joyful characters, but quickly turns into a drab, sad film.

Some of you may know of director Michel Gondry's work - he's also directed 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' and 'The Science of Sleep'. I couldn't really place his name until I had watched a few minutes of the film - he uses a lot of the same filming techniques in this that he did in 'The Science of Sleep'.

I was trying to figure out why I recognized Romain Duris, and it wasn't until I got home and looked him up that I realized he was in the French film 'Populaire' (I haven't seen it yet, but I've researched it recently so his face was familiar to me). He was incredibly captivating as the hero, and I just wanted to squeeze him up.

And I mean, I'm such an Audrey Tautou fan. I think she's ridiculously cute. Like a woodland creature.

Like many, I was introduced to her from 'Amelie'. And after that, I was hooked. My other favourite film of hers, I think, is 'He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not'.

Basically, you'll enjoy this film if you like films by Wes Anderson. The director is the French version of Wes Anderson. He creates these whimsical, emotional pieces that can be a bit slow sometimes, but they're always filled with heart.

I ended up crying at the end of this and the only thing keeping me from sobbing outright was my own shame. And naturally, they turned the lights on in the theatre while I was mid-bawl. Great.

And if you like this, you'll probably like the film 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly'!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email! Have a nice night everyone!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment