Thursday 13 August 2015

Book Buddies: "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

So, guess what?

Verizon STILL hasn't come around and given us good internet! Philadelphia has many disadvantages, and as discussed on 30 Rock, we are Kabletown (in reality, we are a Comcast city and it's vile). They were supposed to be done in May, and yet here we are in mid-August and the trucks have only JUST started showing back up on our block.

What, have my internet needs scared you away? Sorry, but I need my Netflix fix. And my Left 4 Dead fix. And my phone needs its' fix. Now give this to three people in my place and bam, everyone's happy.

But no really. Get on it, Verizon.

I'm currently at my parents' house (mom and I are going to the city tomorrow to see 'The Third Man') and I can't sleep. I was tempted to binge 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', which I've only somehow JUST started watching, but I'm tired and I wanted something to fall asleep to. So, the accidental 'Chopped' marathon began.

I feel so overwhelmed and sad lately. I hate it here and I just want to leave but I can't seem to do it. I'm tempted to just give up my desire of working for Pixar and I'm starting to think I'd be better off becoming a science major and just start mindlessly working for money. (I mean, I assume science majors make money - they seem to be more desired, anyway.) I just don't have the money to go to California and I can't find anyone to help me cosign anything. I don't know why, it's not like I'm an unreliable human being.

You're probably wondering why I haven't talked about Amy Poehler's book. I'm getting there, people. I haven't really caught up with you guys in a while.

Anyway, I dunno. I'm just really sad. My art class just ended and the semester starts shortly and I can't register for classes (they keep telling me I have to go to advising when I really shouldn't, so I sent them an angry letter that basically asked why they won't accept my money). So I'm debating just crawling into bed and only getting out for bathroom breaks and the occasional snack. That's all I want to do. I just want to crawl into bed and cry and never leave the house again.

But nope. For some reason I have to give it the "ol' college try". Mental illnesses aren't a real thing and I deserve nothing, I guess. THAT'S COOL. It's not as real as a physical illness.

(I'm not spiteful of certain people... Nooooo.)

Okay, let's get to the real reason why y'all are here.






































My parents recently brought them with me to the beach so I could have a vacation, and I am a big beach reader. (The cover was safely in the hotel room so it didn't get wet - however, I somehow got water on the spine and it's still slightly ruined anyway. I hate myself.)

In a bit of a twilight state, I blindly took my card and ordered this (along with Aziz Ansari's "Modern Romance", which was also an interesting - though not as entertaining - read).

"Yes Please" is one of the best books I've ever read. I've been giddy about reading this book because I knew in the deepest place of my heart that I would fall madly in love with the beautiful Ms. Poehler and never ever fall out.

She is a delightful storyteller - reading her words made me feel as though we were both there at that beachside table, and maybe she was sipping on a pina colada while recounting the tales of her youth. (How pretentious can I be without you guys yelling at me? Let's test the waters.) And there are so many parts of the book where I cheered or sincerely felt like we would be friends if life had gone a little differently. (I can't help but think of her airplane story with this - my mother would shake her head at me in embarrassment, but I couldn't help it; that'd be what I'd do too.)

I've been recommending this like a madwoman. I'm sure my poor friends are sick of me wailing on and on about this, but it's just so good and leaves me feeling warm and happy in my heart. It's one of the few things in this world that sincerely makes me smile.

So, I hope you guys pick up a copy! It's definitely worth it. She's clearly a precious human being and we must protect her existence.

Have you guys been reading any interesting books lately? I picked one up and it's definitely going to be my next review! I have a bit of time before the next semester starts so maybe I'll do another review!

Be safe, my lovelies.

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment