Saturday 19 July 2014

Sailor Moon Saturday #3!

Hi guys! I know I'm cutting it really close today, but as some of you may know I had a previous engagement. I was in Delaware for my boyfriend's cousin's housewarming party!






































(I legit talked to this cutie more than I talked to people.)

And then Eric took me to Blackbird Pizzeria in Philly, which is this GREAT little gem that serves vegan pizza and has the BEST vegan cheesesteak (that I've had, at least) in the entire city. Soooooooo good.

But anyway!

So today the second episode of Sailor Moon Crystal came out, so let's talk about that.

(Warning: This post will be filled with images and will be spoiler-heavy, so turn back now if you wanna avoid all of that.)

Today's episode was entitled 'Act 2 - Ami, Sailor Mercury'.

Right off the bat I'm loving this series more because they aren't dragging it out. In the original 90s one, we had to wait eight episodes before we were introduced to Ami. Which doesn't really sound like that much, but trust me. It dragged. And in the manga, they actually do meet fairly quickly. Sooooo, thank goodness.

























As always, she's depicted as an incredibly smart girl who seems to have no friends. People are constantly amazed by her, but they're probably too intimidated to actually say hi. Laaaaaame.

























Luna knows what's up though. She senses something special IMMEDIATELY and runs in to do some recon. And by recon, I mean being adorable and being pampered.

























At one point, when Ami and Usagi touch hands briefly as Ami hands Luna over to Usagi, we're greeted by this little "flashback". I guess I'll call it a flashback, when really it's more of a "past life back"?

























People constantly bash Usagi's character (for being too whiny or stupid or loud or annoying), but people seem to rarely discuss her positive attributes. I thought this episode touched nicely on what is probably my favourite one - her friendly attitude. She's able to quickly make friends with pretty much ANYONE because she doesn't care about your past or about rumours or any of those notions. She is kind to everyone.

























The storyline with the villain consists of an evil school, basically. The computer sucks out your energy, uses you to find the Legendary Crystal. You know, the usual.

























Another thing I REALLY like about this series is that the villains really are, in my mind, a lot scarier. I'll touch on that more in a second, though.

























Can we please address Mamoru's inability to change clothes? I'm begging you, wear something else.

























USAGI'S ROOM UGH. I want her comforter. So much. (They sell fabric like that on Spoonflower though. You're welcome.)

























Usagi gets her transformation pen in this episode; this is a device she uses to create disguises for herself. Today we have Doctor Usagi!

























So remember how I said the villains in this are scarier?

Um, yeah.

I remember reading that this series was supposed to be aimed towards older people (I'm assuming people in my generation), and the fact that it's based around the manga means that this will probably get a lot darker later on. But I'm still pleasantly shocked.

Like.

























I'm not kidding.

























I AM REALLY NOT KIDDING.

























CAN WE ALSO TALK ABOUT HOW SAILOR MERCURY'S TRANSFORMATION SCENE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN SAILOR MOON'S?

I'm angry about this but also happy.

It's still not what I would call "beautiful", and the limbs are still awkward and reminiscent of the video game Octodad (thank you for that beautiful comparison, Eric), but at least it's better.

























All in all, I was pleased with this episode.

























The next episode of Sailor Moon Crystal will be debuting on August 2nd and is entited 'Act 3 - Rei, Sailor Mars'.

I'm currently watching the show on Crunchyroll but there are a few other places to watch it too! Hulu also has it.

If you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to leave me a message below or email me!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment