Saturday 27 September 2014

Sailor Moon Saturday #13!

Man, this is another week where I'm just really not in the mood to talk about Sailor Moon mythology. I'm so tired from doing homework this week. Ugh.

But hey, sometimes we just have to power through!

I'm working on some fun stuff for October and November for the blog, though!

So let's get to it!

Warning: This post is spoiler-heavy for those who have never seen the 90s show or read the manga.

Today we'll be talking about Mamoru Chiba and Endymion.

So, let's talk about the Greek myth of Endymion.







































So, remember how I talked about Selene in my second Sailor Moon entry? Well, this is Endymion, her lover. And this was Mamoru Chiba in his past life.

Rather than being a god, Endymion is shown as a mortal - hunter, shepherd, a king, and so forth. His history is a bit muddled, but some have suggested that he was related to (or actually was) an astronomer, which would explain his relationship with Selene.

Let's also note that, well, he's a son of Zeus. What a surprise. Give me a list of gods and mortals that AREN'T related to Zeus, that'd impress me. Selene went to Zeus and asked him to give Endymion eternal youth so he could forever stay beautiful. That's why, when you see paintings of him, he's always asleep and young.

There really isn't much "solid" information about the Endymion mythology, unfortunately. But hopefully this little bit was educational!

Starting in October, I will be talking about spooooky stuff all month! (The Sailor Moon entries will remain, however.) If you have any recommendations for Halloween snacks, scary movies, or creepy books, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment