Wednesday 19 February 2014

An accidental Toby Jones marathon.

I have accidentally fallen in love with Toby Jones.

Last night, I rewatched 'Captain America: The First Avenger' when I came home from work. That movies gets me incredibly worked up, and one day I'll write a detailed review of that.

But boy, do I love Toby Jones.

If you've seen the movie, you'll probably know that he plays Arnim Zola, a supervillain from the Marvel comic book universe. He'll be reprising the role in 'Captain America: Winter Soldier' as well.

But today I watched another movie of his. This seems like a weird choice to watch, especially in the wake of Philip Seymour Hoffman's death, but I had DVR-ed 'Infamous', another film in which we follow Truman Capote in his quest to write the book In Cold Blood.







































As I expected, Toby Jones seems to slip into Capote's shoes effortlessly. One can't help but compare and contrast Jones' performance and Hoffman's. They're both fantastic and they're both different. So as hard as it may seem, try your best to remain unbiased if you've seen 'Capote'.

I was a little disappointed in Sandra Bullock's performance as Harper Lee, though I think that was more due to the writing than her actual acting ability. She's been growing on me as a performer lately, but when I was younger I really despised her. But it's okay guys, I've seen the light! (By the way, did anyone else here have a total anxiety attack during 'Gravity'? Because I did.)

The absolute surprise here was Daniel Craig! My god, I wouldn't have recognized him if I hadn't looked up the cast beforehand. I'm assuming they applied some sort of prosthetic nose, and his hair was far darker than I'm used to. I've been watching 'Skyfall' on repeat for months now so I wasn't expecting to see this from him.

Now, a lot of this film is fictionalized. It seems to be overall more sympathetic and "warm" in terms of how Capote is portrayed, as well as the criminals. I'd like to really sing the praises of the costume designers, as they were really able to capture the feel of the elite New Yorkers of this time period. I had the feeling I was truly at one of Capote's parties and that all I was missing was a well-made drink.

Overall, we're brought a fair film that, while giving a nice interpretation of Truman Capote and Perry Smith, seemed a bit slow and lackluster. Unlike 'Capote', this seemed a bit more scattered and sensationalized to the point of absurdity. But perhaps that's more to Capote's nature, and perhaps that makes this a more fitting film.

If you have any requests for a movie review, leave a comment or email me! I love movie recommendations and I'll give everything a chance!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment