Sunday 16 February 2014

Recipe Review: Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Chocolate Chip Cookies (with an extract surprise!)

Hi everyone! I'm sorry I've been kind of absent. For some reason I couldn't get onto the website that easily for the last few days. I tried writing this up and poof, my screen was blank! How annoying.

Today I've been having a few house troubles (there's a new, lovely hole in my bedroom ceiling that's leaking profusely to the point that I had to move a bookcase by myself, move the cat to a different room, etc) so I'm rather grumpy. Actually, I'm really grumpy. So I'm pretty much just going to write up a quick entry and then drink some wine and watch American Dad via Netflix. That's what all responsible adults do, right!?

So today I'm doing a recipe review! For those of you who are new to the vegan community, you'll thank me later for introducing you to her, but Isa Chandra Moskowitz is basically a vegan goddess.

She has this pretty awesome website called Post Punk Kitchen that has some really awesome recipes! I've yet to make one from her that's ever been less than stellar.

Today we're going to focus on her chocolate chip cookie recipe, which you can find here. I also happen to have one of her cookbooks!

This cookbook is FABULOUS. Simply fabulous. If you don't have it, vegan or not, you need it. All of the recipes are incredibly easy, and her way of writing is so cute.

Anyway! The other day I was craving cookies, and I keep seeing mint chocolate chip cookies all over Pinterest. But they're a Betty Crocker recipe and it includes her sugar cookie dry mix, and I doubt it's vegan (I can't confirm this, I haven't looked) so I just used Isa's recipe and modified it!


























So, like I said, Isa's recipe is really easy to follow. Obviously I'm not going to repost it, but I can show you what some of the steps look like!


























I love this brand. I really didn't want to use the mini ones (they have a chunk form too), but the shelf was almost COMPLETELY clean. I guess people have been freaked out by the amount of snow we've been getting. (And Philadelphia was in a "snow emergency" the other day - are we still? Who knows.) So, mini chips will have to do. Talk about a first world problem.


























Uhhhh, I'll admit. I didn't really set up a cute little mise en place picture because COOKIES COOKIES COOKIES. My desire for cookies outweighed my desire to make a pretty picture. Oh well.


























Throw that stuff in!


























My pictures weren't really what I wanted for this entry. But I was uh, kind of shaking because I was really excited for COOKIES.


























GREEN, GLORIOUS GREEN.



























COOKIES.

So basically, I used Isa's original chocolate chip cookie recipes and modified it very slightly to make some mint chocolate chip cookies instead!

I added in about 1 1/2 teaspoons of mint extract, although that makes the mint flavour fairly subtle. I'm not a HUGE mint & chocolate person, so if you're really a fan you might want to go for the full 2 teaspoons. But I really enjoyed the subtlety of this.

And to get that green colour? Honestly, I lost track of how many drops of food colouring I used after about 20. So just experiment until you find a colour you like!

Now that I can get back on Blogger, I'll be posting more again! Hurray! I have my jalapeƱo popper dip recipe ready and waiting for you guys, hehe! Be prepared!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment