Saturday 8 February 2014

Pizza muffins!

Glad I caught your attention with "pizza". And if I didn't, I probably didn't want to be friends with you anyway.

But before we get into pizza can I just...


























LOOK at this new cookie jar. I got it from my mother and oh my god I'm never letting it go. My mom said "She looks like Catsby's girlfriend!". So cute.

But anyway, pizza.


























No foolin', but I ate somewhere between eight to nine of these bad boys the second I finished this photoshoot. This was a recipe that I've been really nervous about veganizing (muffins intimidate me; I have no idea why). This is adapted from this recipe that I found on Pinterest. However, I chose to go down the big muffin route rather that minis. (Although I was REALLY tempted to do minis and I might next time.)

ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • Dried oregano and basil, to taste
  • salt, to taste
  • red pepper flakes, to taste (I'm a huge wuss when it comes to spicy food so uh, I went light)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
  • 1 Ener-G egg (see explanation below)
  • 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds (I used Daiya)
  • 1/4 cup almond Parmesan
  • 1 cup vegan pepperoni, cubed (I used Lightlife Smart Deli; picture below)
  • optional: 1/2 cup pizza sauce (YOU WILL NOT REGRET THIS)


The mise en place!

instructions:

  1.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and red pepper flakes.
  3. Whisk in the milk and Ener-G egg. Stir in the mozzarella shreds, Parmesan, and pepperoni. Let the mixture sit for ten minutes. Go watch half of an episode of something on Netflix.
  4. Grease up a muffin tin. (For this I used a 12-muffin tin but really you could use a wee mini one too!)
  5. Divide the dough amongst the tin.
  6. Put this bad boy in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
  7. Go microwave that pizza sauce. If you don't, you're missing out on some serious pizza muffin action.



This is what I use as an egg replacer most of the time. Although I use flax seed eggs too! But I LOVE this stuff. I think it's initially a little pricey, but this lasts me a long time. They have nice instructions on the back for making an "egg", too!


NOTE: THIS IS OBVIOUSLY NOT MOZZARELLA, hahaha. By the time I got to the process of taking pictures, I had kind of already thrown out that bag ahahahaha. Whoopsie. But here's what the package looks like!



This is my favourite brand of vegan pepperoni. There are recipes available online or in cookbooks if you want to make your own, though. I haven't tried out a recipe for homemade pepperoni yet!

Dumpin' all the flour/baking powder/spices in!

Whisk it baby!




After you add the "egg" and milk, this is the kind of consistency you want.



Yeah, I know. Doesn't look super appealing. YET.


The muffin tin woooo!


I overestimated the amount of batter I'd have, whoops! (See, I make mistakes too.)



Soon, my precious.

 PIZZA. MUFFINS. You're welcome.


And I'm serious, guys. You're missing out on a taste sensation if you opt to not have pizza sauce with this. SERIOUSLY.

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment