Tuesday 21 October 2014

Halloween Tutorial: DIY Sorting Hat from Harry Potter

Hi everyone!

Today, I'm going to try to do something completely different, and teach you how to make something!

A couple of years ago I found this cardboard witch hat in my local Joanns or Michaels (I can't remember which, though I think Joanns) and swore I'd make a Sorting Hat from Harry Potter out of it. I started it, and thennnnn this kind of fell into a black hole (aka the back of a closet) and today it reemerged, like a phoenix from the ashes.

So, let's try a tutorial on here.







































what you'll need:

  • cardboard witch hat (couldn't find a link online, but check your local Joanns!)
  • a pencil
  • three Micron pens (I used sizes 01, 03, and 08 for variety in line thickness)
instructions:
  1. Google lots of pictures of the Sorting Hat for references.
  2. Lightly draw on the pattern - I started with the face, then worked from there.
  3. Once you have a penciled pattern on, use the pens to cover them up. Shade however you'd like - I used some crosshatching techniques, but if you're not a big artist then do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Honestly, if you prefer, you can just do this whole project with a pencil, as it's far easier to shade with a pencil than it is with a pen.
  4. Not necessary, but I erased the pencil lines when I was done going over them with pen.
  5. Uhhh, you're done!
Here are some pictures I took through the process to give you a kind of "guideline". I went a bit of a more sinister route (I mean, it IS Halloween) so my Sorting Hat may look more evil than you'd want yours to be.







































































































(Before any of my new vegan readers flip out, please note that the couch is obviously not real leather. It's a pleather couch chosen by my boyfriend.) Also, sorry for the poor picture of the final product - the cat was constantly moving and I just got frustrated in the end, heh.

If you want any help or tips with this project, feel free to send me an email or leave a comment below! I wish I had had a ribbon to tie around the bottom, rather than drawing it on, and perhaps I'd like to try this again with paint or something. But feel free to share your creations with me! I'd love to see them!

Hope your Halloween preparations are going smoothly! I'll be taking pictures of my Halloween party, so be prepared for those on November 1st! (At least it'll give you possible inspiration for next year!)

Have a terrifying Tuesday, my lovelies!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment