Friday 10 October 2014

Movie Madness: Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (2010)

This month, I've been reviewing a lot of movies on Netflix. I'd randomly pick horror movies and go with it, but I haven't actually talked about anything so far that I've previously seen.

Well, that's changing today! I'm working on my philosophy midterm paper, so I wanted to actually put on something that I knew I'd enjoy.







































I LOVE this movie. Love, love, love. At a whopping 240 minutes (4 hours!), 'Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy' is an amazing in-depth documentary that goes behind the scenes of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. The beautiful Heather Langenkamp (who famously played Nancy in the series) narrates this behind-the-scenes adventure and leaves us with so much fascinating information.

This is an AMAZING movie. Despite the hefty time, I watch this allllllll the time. (I actually fall asleep with this on in the background a lot.) It never drags and everyone is entertaining and informative. This is for people who have either seen all of the Nightmare on Elm Street films or just have an interest in them in general. You don't really need to see them all to enjoy this (I hadn't when I had originally watched this!).

A lot of people write off horror movies as being dumb or cheesy. Especially films like the ones in the Nightmare on Elm Street series. And to be honest, I get it. I get why people think they're stupid films or not really "serious". But when you watch this, you'll be surprised at how much thought is actually put into this stuff. This is one of the movies I might show to someone (or, perhaps because it's so long, show clips) who underestimates the horror genre. Many of the cast and crew of these films talk about their messages about suicide and drug use; they talk of their literary and other film references (specifically, they talk of Shakespeare and Ray Harryhausen's work).

Maybe I'm biased though. I'm a huge Wes Craven fan. He's one of those people I wish I could be friends with and I regret that I'll never get to meet him. The idea of this gentle and well-spoken man creating these horrors is absolutely fascinating to me, and I always wanted to go out and have lunch with him and just talk.

This is a film that every horror fan should set aside some time for and watch. You'll have much more respect for this franchise than you probably did beforehand. Even if some of it seems corny and lame, there was a lot of love and time put into it, and it's astonishing.

I hope you guys all check this movie out (like I said, it's on Netflix!) and enjoy it as much as I did.

If you have any suggestions for horror movies, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email!

Have a lovely day, everyone.

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment