Monday 27 October 2014

Movie Madness: Pontypool (2008)

Hi everyone!

Today has been pretty uneventful. Had class, came home. I was trying to get ahead on homework so I have less to worry about this week (and so I can have fun during my upcoming Halloween party!), but the cat has been spazzing out SO much today and driving me absolutely mad, so I'm having a hard time concentrating.

So yeah, here's a movie!







































I went into this movie totally blind. Netflix's Max feature has been really buggy for me lately (sometimes it disappears completely, sometimes it has brain farts and stops working, etc.) so I went through Netflix's "Halloween Favourites" category. Which, honestly, isn't as good as it was last year, so I'm pretty disappointed.

I picked this because Netflix really thought I'd like this. That was about it.

'Pontypool' deals with Grant Mazzy (played by Stephen McHattie), a radio announcer in Pontypool, Ontario. (Heck yeah Canada - I wish I had never left, oy.) While on the air, he and his crew realize that they're in the middle of major virus infection, and Pontypool is soon quarantined.

I'm gonna be honest. The entire time I watched this, I kept wishing that McHattie would mysteriously turn into Ron Perlman. Not that McHattie did a bad job in this. I just really prefer Perlman's "grit". Anyone else get what I'm saying? If they ever did an American remake of this, my dream cast would probably beeee... Ron Perlman as Grant, Javier Bardem or Alfred Molina as Doctor Mendez, perhaps Catherine Keener as Syndey (I usually only see her in comedies, so I'd like to see her in a horror film), andddddd I dunno who to cast as Laurel-Ann, ha.

Has anyone ever read anything by Tony Burgess? I'm really curious about his work now!

I loved this film. THIS is a good example of what a slow movie should be. The first half is slow, but we spend that time with character development and understanding how they behave in general. But then the second half? That's where shit gets dark reaaaaaal fast.

Is this a zombie movie? Perhaps. That part is really up to interpretation and your personal opinion of what a zombie is, or could be. I don't consider it to be a zombie film. But hey, that's just me. I would easily understand why someone would call it that. The director doesn't consider it one either - in fact, he calls the infected "conversationalists".

And I mean hot damn, if this doesn't inspire you to learn a least a LITTLE of another language, well. I think I'd be okay in this situation, possibly. Maybe. This film will make you think about languages and what we're so willing to throw around easily, and our general understanding of words.

Note: There's a scene after the credits as well. What're your thoughts on it?

I was REALLY surprised by this. Definitely would recommend this to all of you lovely folk!

Horror month is almost done, but if you wanna try to squeeze in a last minute suggestion, just leave me a comment here or send me an email!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment