Sunday 26 October 2014

Movie Madness: Audrey Rose (1977)

So today I'm planning on seeing a couple of friends of mine, so I'm actually writing this the night before, ha! (This is so weird. It's like time traveling except not even slightly.) Let's skip right to the scary movie!







































So, I'll preface this by saying that the 70s are actually my least favourite decade in terms of film. I just, I dunno. I feel like most of the movies made then were a huge miss. (Though I do have some exceptions of course!)

'Audrey Rose' is a psychological horror film in which a man believes the daughter of a couple is actually the reincarnation of his own daughter that died. I'd consider this more of a psychological thriller, and even the Wikipedia page for the movie seems kind of conflicted about the subject, but for the purpose of this we'll call it a horror film. It's under the Halloween favourites on Netflix, too.

It's weird seeing a (relatively) young Anthony Hopkins. I mean, I kind of thought he just popped out of the womb looking like Hannibal. He pretty much carried the entire film. I mean, I felt like he was just talking for the entire movie and everyone else just happened to be there. And while he was compelling and wonderful, there's only so much that one can take of just one person talking at them for almost two hours.

The Wikipedia page talks about how when this came out, there were a lot of comparisons drawn between this and 'The Exorcist'. And, well, yeah. I can see that. I mean, possession of a young girl, concerned parents/parent figures, supernatural events, etc. But this just isn't as... exciting? It's so slow. The child that everyone is bickering about is barely even in the movie. How am I supposed to care about her?

Overall, this reminded me of my review of 'The Prophecy', actually - this was like a theology lesson, only this time on the subject of reincarnation. It's just so dry, man.

I just, no no no. Please don't ever make me watch this again. I feel like this would only interest those with a passion for reincarnation, but even then it's so dry it's pretty much unwatchable. I regret everything.

I hope you guys are having a beautiful Sunday! October is almost done, and soon I'll be wrapping up the horror month! So get those last-minute suggestions in!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment