Thursday 30 October 2014

Review Day: Endangered Species Creme Filled Chocolates (Almond Butter and Coconut)

So, I'll admit.

Sometimes vegan Halloween sucks. Especially if you're like me.

Yeah, I know we still have a lot of candy that we can eat. But do you know what I like? CHOCOLATE. Fuck those fruit candies we get. I mean, sometimes they're nice, but 90% of the time I'd rather be digging my teeth into a candy bar.

And I'll be honest - my chocolate making skills are ABYSMAL. I've tried multiple times. They always come out terrible. It's frustrating. And let's not forget that I'm a broke college kid, so going to the natural health food store to get myself a candy bar is like going to Fifth Avenue and asking for something from Tiffany's.

The struggle is real, folks.

But then, out of the darkness, the parents of the broke vegan college kid emerge and behold! A BAG FILLED WITH HALLOWEEN CHOCOLATE FROM THE AFOREMENTIONED HEALTH FOOD STORE?

BLESS. It's like heaven raining down upon your face in the form of sweet, chocolatey goodness.

But some of you may not have parents that are as supportive as mine when it comes to your veganism. Trust me, I've heard HORROR stories. I'm incredibly grateful that mine as so helpful, but I understand that not everyone is in the same situation. So, I like doing these reviews so that you can save some money if you can or, if something is awesome, you'll hear about it and go check it out!

So, let's get down to the CHOCOLATE.


























Now, from what I remember, I think Endangered Species Chocolate just came out with these creme filled ones? If I'm wrong, please correct me. I love this brand. The chocolate is good, they inform you about animals, argh! So delicious. So I was excited about the creme filled ones, and it's been a while since I had creme filled chocolate anyway.

First, I tore into the coconut one. I'll admit that I'm not a huge coconut lover. But I was hopeful with this - I'm more against the texture than the taste. (Ew to shredded coconut, now and forever. There's a 90% chance you'll never see a recipe on here with that nasty stuff.)


























Little squares of magic.


























The inside of the wrappers give you neat animal facts, too!

So, once this was all out of the way, I took a bite, and...


























Huh.

It's not BAD.

But where's the creme?

Did it hide?

What's this nonsense?

THIS ISN'T CREME.

In all honesty, it just really wasn't creamy. It had a nice flavour, and it was waaaay more mild than I expected it to be (I think coconut tends to be overwhelming) and it blends in well with the dark chocolate. But, hmm. The texture left something to be desired.

Also, can I mention that these bars feel a LOT richer/more decadent than the normal ones? Two squares of this and I was groaning over the fact that I had to review another bar.

So, I tore into the almond butter creme bar.


























The cremes look suspiciously similar in terms of colour. And honestly, the amount of creme to chocolate in this one was even worse than the coconut one. Which is a shame, because the bit I tasted was WONDERFUL.

Overall I preferred the almond butter creme, and I would gladly eat these if someone gave them to me, but I don't know if I'd buy them. I was just really disappointed by the amount of creme in them. Especially because these are their first creme bars (I think)- I thought they'd really want to step it up. But yeah, one square and you'll be knocked out for the count. So you do get your money's worth!

I hope you all have a lovely and safe Halloween tomorrow!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment