Tuesday 14 October 2014

Movie Madness: Rosemary's Baby (1968)

HEY GUYS.

I FINISHED MY PHILOSOPHY MIDTERM PAPER.

Speaking about praying to Satan for good things to happen, guess what we're gonna talk about today?







































I wasn't actually going to review this today, but I'm writing a paper about it for my literature class, so I figured why not kill two birds with one stone? *waits for the vegan police to get mad about that expression* Seriously, that happened a few days ago.

But anyway.

Trigger warning: This movie does have a rape scene in it, so please be aware.

'Rosemary's Baby' is about a young woman who gets pregnant, and fears that her husband and neighbours may be devil worshippers. As if being pregnant wasn't hard enough.

I'm not sure if you guys remember, but a while back I reviewed a book by Orson Scott Card and talked about how terrible people can make beautiful things in the world, and that you need to try to separate the two things. And, uh, the same thing kind of applies here. Roman Polanski is a huge sleaze bag, but that doesn't mean that his films aren't masterpieces all of a sudden. His (terrible) personal choices doesn't make this a good or bad film; they're two separate beasts, if you will.

So, now that that's out of the way.

Mia Farrow plays the beautiful young Rosemary Woodhouse, and she does a damn fine job. (Although I've always been biased in her favour ever since I found out that she starred in one of my favourite childhood movies.) One of the best stories about this film is how, when Rosemary is walking (while very pregnant) through New York traffic, that was real; Polanski had Mia Farrow walk through traffic because "no one would hit a pregnant lady". (Which is very true, actually.)

And I mean, it wouldn't be a 'Rosemary's Baby' review if I didn't talk about Ruth Gordon's performance. I mean, it's award winning! (Seriously, she won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Although I loved her the most in 'Harold and Maude'.) There's something disconcerting about seeing her and those other cheerful old people cheer for the birth of Satan's offspring and the death of God.

Now, this may be a bit slow for some people. (Eric doesn't care for the film at all.) And while I think it's obvious that Rosemary isn't hallucinating, some would argue that this is an incredibly psychological film that leaves you to wonder if she's crazy or if they're really all Satan worshippers. Regardless, I love the movie and definitely recommend watching it at least once, as it truly is an iconic film.

Sorry for posting this so late again; after that midterm paper, I just wanted to take a break and relax for a bit, hehe! If you have any suggestions or comments, leave me a message below or send me an email!

Have a Terrifying Tuesday, my pretties!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment