Monday 6 October 2014

Movie Madness: The Frighteners (1996)

This has not been an extremely pleasant month so far. I dunno. I'm uninspired to write here and I just can't wait to be done school so I can have a career and move. I feel ancient and lazy. I treated myself to an obscene amount of Starbucks hot chocolate (with soy milk and no whipped cream!) because why not?

But hey, let's talk about movies!

Netflix didn't give me a simple horror category tonight, so I used the power of its Max feature to get me a film, and this is what I was given!







































Directed by Peter Jackson, 'The Frighteners' is about an architect (played by Michael J. Fox) who becomes a psychic investigator after his wife dies in a car accident. He primarily works as a con man until he realizes that there's an actual terror in the town that only he can see.

I love 90s movies. That's one of my favourite film periods. They're typically silly and the fashions were so great then. It's one of my favourite decades. (But hey, I was growing up in that time period, so maybe that's where the bias comes from.) It also doesn't hurt that I've always been madly in love with Michael J. Fox.

I'm in that camp of people that really likes Peter Jackson; I feel like a lot of people are pretty divided on his work, but I typically enjoy his stuff. This was a bit on the goofy side for him (I mean, this is no Tolkien-based film, heh) but this was nice! This would probably be a better horror film for those who like horror-comedies, or perhaps even children. Then again, I'm a bit more liberal than some people when it comes to what films you show children, so always take that into consideration.

This reminded me of a chain of horror-comedies from the 90s: Beetlejuice, Casper, Hocus Pocus. This is a slow film at times, but it has some fun moments and I was pleasantly surprised! I'll admit I judged this by the cover a little bit and didn't expect this to be so comedic and light, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you guys have any horror suggestions for this month, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email!

Have a creepy-crawly night!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment