Friday 3 October 2014

Movie Madness: Blood Lake: Attack of the Killer Lampreys (2014)

Okay, so try not to laugh.

This is a completely serious review, I promise.

But I found this... "gem" on Netflix, and I had to share.







































Why didn't I know about this sooner!?

I'm assuming this was Animal Planet's response to the popularity of SyFy's film series 'Sharknado'. Although I can't understand why Animal Planet would contribute to fear-mongering against animals. That seems a bit contradictory to me. They probably assumed that people wouldn't attempt to go on a lamprey killing spree after this film. (And I mean, that's probably why they chose lampreys as the antagonistic animal; people are more likely to go after sharks or wolves or something over um, lampreys. But moving on.)

I could instantly tell this was a TV movie when I put it on. It's filmed the same way. I was pleasantly surprised when Shannen Doherty showed up (I actually like her acting, despite the negative view people have of her because of her supposed diva attitude.) AND I MEAN CHRISTOPHER LLOYD IS IN IT SO THAT'S AN INSTANT WIN. I mean, my Macbook Pro is named Lloyd after him, so I kind of freaked a bit. There's just a surprising cast all around (Zack Ward is in it too! Ugh, I love him.)

I laughed when I hit play on this at first, but it's a fun movie. It's like if someone watched 'Jaws' too many times (actually, no - there's no such thing as watching 'Jaws' too many times) and went "Hey, let's do the same thing but with lampreys and in a small town!".

There are killer lampreys swimming around this small town, and Mayor Akerman wants it to stop. After massacring the fish population, the lampreys turn a bit bloodthirsty and start to go for the people of the town. How will this be stopped!?

I actually found this entertaining. It's more of a horror-comedy than a pure horror film. It's in the same stream of films as 'Sharknado', so if you're not a fan of that then you probably won't enjoy this. It is a little gorier though, so if you're not into that then you might want to skip this too. (I mean, like I said this is a fairly funny film so the gore isn't "serious", but I know some people who get really queasy around blood so I figured I'd mention it anyway.)

This is the film you should show during a Halloween party. It's silly and you can watch it while you drink, and it's just fun for everyone. I was pleasantly surprised by this film, and I'm sure I would've enjoyed it even more if I had seen it with a group of friends!

Like I said before, you can stream this on Netflix. (Although when I found it, it was only listed as 'Blood Lake' so just type that in.)

And before I officially end this entry, let's take a second to talk about lampreys.

I'll be honest, I hadn't known the official name for them before I watched this. I just called them, you know, "eels". When they talked about them in the movie and showed the bites on the victims, they actually reminded me of cookiecutter sharks! They actually have a similar mouth, which kind of "suctions" onto the victim and leaves a circular bite mark.

I found a really nice and basic anatomy picture of lampreys on the Wikipedia page that I found really interesting, too!






I kind of thought Christopher Lloyd was joking when he talked about lampreys as food (I don't know why - I used to eat sushi a lot, though now I strictly stick with vegetable rolls, and eel is always easy to find on the menu). But apparently they were eaten as a "high class" food by the Romans and Europeans back in the day.

Figured I'd end this with some information about the animal so you guys won't go off on a "lamprey hunt". No more "Jaws effect" on animals, ya dig? Animals for all!

If you have any Halloween-themed suggestions for the blog, feel free to leave me a comment below or send me an email!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment