Saturday 25 October 2014

Sailor Moon Saturday #17!

So, this was another really rough week.

I was given an assignment for one of my classes that really upset me and my professor wouldn't listen to my concerns. It was draining. I had to write a eulogy for myself. I can't believe anyone would think of that as being a good assignment. I tried to ask for an alternative and was rejected. I had to interview someone for it. It was so uncomfortable and I'm so upset. It was a terrible one too - I just wrote about how I was childless and fat and clumsy and awful. It was really bad. But I made sure to complete all of the objectives, so I hope she doesn't fail me. I don't even think I care anymore at this point though. (I keep trying to tell myself that, but I think an F would freak me out, too.)

At least it's done. It's done, and now I can try to enjoy Doctor Who tonight and ugh. I wish I had money to go out or go by myself a video game. It's almost my birthday and I'm just really not excited for anything right now.

But yeah, it's Sailor Moon Saturday. *forces self to be excited*

Warning: This post is spoiler-heavy for those who have never seen the 90s show or read the manga.

Today we're talking about Nephrite.

























So yes, it's another geology day!

I gave a background of his role in the story in Sailor Moon Saturday #15, so if you want kind of an idea of what Nephrite does, it's basically the same thing that Jadeite does.

(Remember how there was an implied relationship between Jadeite and Sailor Mars? Nephrite had the same thing with Sailor Jupiter. Which is great, considering he was actually killed by her in the manga.)

Anyway, geology.

So, in Sailor Moon Saturday #15 I also talked about the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. It'd be a good idea to read up on that again if you forget what it is, but nephrite is a tiny bit weaker than jadeite (clocking in at 6-6.5). And since jadeite and nephrite are so closely related, no one should be surprised that nephrite is a metamorphic rock too! Really, they're both versions of jade.

Nephrite is used in a lot of decorative ways - like in jewelry or beads.

It's commonly used in China (and has really odd names there - they have different names for different colours of nephrite, and they're both food related; mutton fat jade and chicken bone jade). Apparently, they used jade to make these beautiful burial suits for Chinese royalty! Jade was considered to be more valuable than silver or gold, so it was often used in the art of the palaces of the royals.

So I hope this was a fun little lesson for you guys today! I know there's not much here, I'm sorry. I'm just really having a hard time concentrating on stuff and I feel a bit overwhelmed. I hope you guys have a nice day today, and next week we get a new episode of Sailor Moon! So yay!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment