Tuesday 7 October 2014

Movie Madness: Haunt (2013)

So last night, Eric and I cringed through some of Netflix's choices before 'Max' gave us this... piece of "work".







































Netflix predicted that I wouldn't even give this two stars. So let's just say... I was pleasantly surprised.

'Haunt' is about a family that moves into a new home after the previous family had a traumatic incident. The Ashers (we'll mainly concentrate on the son, Evan) move in after everyone in the Morello family but the mother has died. Evan meets his new neighbour named Sam, and they soon discover that something is trying to communicate with them... and whoever is trying to communicate isn't exactly being "polite".

I was shocked! At first I wondered why Netflix thought I would despise this, and then I realized that this was distributed by IFC Films (they're involved in very hit-or-miss stuff; here's a list of stuff they've released, in case you want an idea of their extremes haha.). Like many horror films, it was a little slow at times, but it actually had better pacing than most of the horror films I've watched so far this month.

I will admit, nothing really "scary" happens until the end; this is more about the characters than giving you some fright, really. But it holds a really creepy atmosphere that'll keep you tense until the credits start rolling. (I was shocked when I occasionally shrieked.)

So, don't be completely turned off by this film if Netflix suggests that you also won't like it - give it a bit of a chance and you may be surprised! I thought for this guy's directorial debut, it actually did a surprisingly good job at being creepy yet interesting.

If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free to leave me a comment below or send me an email!

Have a terrifying Tuesday!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment