Tuesday 28 October 2014

Movie Madness: Hocus Pocus (1993)

Hello everyone! It's soooo close to Halloween! Is everyone ready for their parties or nights of entertainment? I'm getting there! I can't wait to show you guys what I'm doing for mine, heh. I'll make sure to post about it on November 1st!

Today I went to visit my parents. Halloween is one of my mother's favourite holidays, so I guess I got this love from her, heh. We went shopping for some Halloween goodies (I'll post about those on November 1st too probably) and we watched 'Hocus Pocus' together! (I feel weird if I DON'T watch it with her during the Halloween season, heh.)







































I know this isn't really a horror movie, but it's definitely a Halloween movies.

A warning to my vegan friends: There's two sad cat parts in this, but please note that this is also a kid film, so those scenes do look fake.

It's also one of those movies that I kind of judge people by - if they tell me they don't like it, I just kind of squint at them and suddenly I'm hesitant to trust those kinds of people. No one needs that kind of negativity in their lives, heh.

In case you've somehow been living under a rock/you follow cult classics, I guess I'll summarize this. 'Hocus Pocus' is about three witch sisters who, after 300 years, have been resurrected by three kids on Halloween night. It's up to these kids (and an unusual cat) to put these witches down for good.

Okay, this movie is INCREDIBLE though. Even without my childhood nostalgia, there's a lot of great stuff about this film.

  1. Bette Midler. Bette Midler can do NO wrong and she's beautiful and talented and and and just amazing. 
  2. Sarah Jessica Parker. She's so weird and ridiculous in this. It's really endearing. I wonder if she does impressions of her character from this when she's in bed with Matthew Broderick.
  3. The jokes. THE ADULT JOKES THOUGH. Do you even KNOW how many are in this film? This is back in the day when it was okay to make really crude jokes in kid movies because kids wouldn't understand them but adults would and oh my gosh. (I mean, they still do it now - the Shrek films, okay.) But the jokes in THIS are in a different world - that entire scene with the creepy bus driver, though.
  4. Bette Midler's song. I mean, SHE'S GONNA PUT A SPELL ON YOU. I'd be mad if they put her in this and didn't have her sing a song. Get it, girl.
I can't praise this movie enough. It holds up really well with time. I could watch this all year, not just Halloween. It's such a FUN film.

I'll be shocked if anyone that reads this HASN'T seen it, to be honest. It's played on TV SO much around this time of year! It's everywhere! 

My class was apparently canceled for tomorrow, so maybe I'll do something a little different then? We'll see what I'm up for, heh. 

Hope you guys are having a lovely week so far!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment