Sunday 19 October 2014

Movie Madness: The Woman (2011)

Well, my high from that good grade in philosophy just plummeted. I'm apparently getting a meh grade in my effective speaking class. (Although in general I've been having problems with this professor and his delayed responses, so I'm really fucking annoyed.) He JUST gave me back a grade today for an assignment I did in September, and thank goodness he did I guess because I would've made the same mistake in today's speech if I hadn't read his critique.

Although, what does it say about your teaching method if the mean on the assignment is a 56%? That's kind of abysmal. (I feel really shitty about getting a 77%, and I keep trying to tell myself that at least I did better than most of the people in my class, but it's still not really helping.) He seems to be a pretty harsh grader, though - you need to have five people present for every speech, and if you have any fewer than that, you automatically fail. Seems like a pretty big drop to me. And he's very uncommunicative, so I'm not really impressed and I would never recommend anyone take this guy's class.

Guess I better learn from my mistakes so I don't have to retake this, ugh.

Thankfully, since midterms are over, this week is gonna be a little more relaxed. I just have one paper and a test (as of now) so hopefully this'll be a nice, easy week. But we'll see!

(Ugh, I'm so annoyed.)

Let's focus on some horror again, shall we?







































I'm in this horror group on Facebook, and I kept seeing a lot of people talk about 'The Woman'. After that, I put it on my list, but Netflix finally chose this as the film to watch! Wooooo!

Trigger warnings: This is filled with a little more gore than some of the other films I've talked about, so keep that in mind. (I mean, even I was squirming at times.) There are also instances of sexual violence (including rape and incestuous hints).

Chris, a lawyer, finds The Woman while hunting in the forest one day. He then catches her and brings her home and attempts to "civilize" her. He asks his family for help, and we learn more about them as time goes on.

Okay, this was a LOT better than I thought it was going to be. I just finished watching it, and I feel a bit nauseous, but wow.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sean Bridgers looks like he could play Will Ferrell's brother? Also, I think that Lauren Ashley Carter is beautiful! (Even with the tired, pregnant teen look.)

In a weird way, this reminded me of 'Edward Scissorhands'; strange creature taken from it's home, said creature is put into the home of a "perfect American family".

So, yay! Thank you, Facebook group, for informing me about this movie! Netflix predicted I'd only give it two stars (I ended up giving it three), so this was a pleasant surprise!

If any of you have a suggestion for a scary movie or any questions, feel free to leave a comment below or send me an email!

Thanks, dearies! Have a spooky Sunday!

xo, Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment